October 2014

After all this time I'm still here

In my last post I mentioned having rebuilt my web server 10 times. Well, It did not stop there. It seems like that has been all I have been doing for the last 2 months. I can say at this point I am finally at a point where the web server is stable enough and I can finally get back to working with Drupal. I have accomplished a couple other things in between catastrophes. I got to attend the Fox Valley Drupal Camp a few weeks ago. It was a good experience and I was able to but together a few additional things when it comes to putting together the whole Drupal package. This is needed a lot. I seem to get the pieces but my basic difficulty is putting it all together. Was able to start on that process at Camp. Besides all the learning, what I enjoyed most was interacting with the others in the community. Even though I am doing this myself, being part of a community makes it seem as though I'm not doing this all myself. The support helps a great deal. I will have to elaborate more on this as time moves on.

FINALLY a step forward

I just spent the day completing a Lynda.com course. I just completed the "Simplified Drupal Sites with Drush" course. The Certificate can be viewed here. It was a very good run-through of Drush basics. I feel a lot more comfortable with Drush. Using Aegir I have had to become a bit more comfortable with it and this course has simplified my making use of it. Now that I have completed the course I do wish I would have known more about it earlier on. If I had more of a familiarity of Drush I probably would have avoided Aegir at this point in time. Drush simplifies a lot of the Aegir functionality with a great deal more simplicity that working on getting Aegir up and running. In hind-site I would have been a better use of time to avoid the Aegir debacle and concentrate on Drush because Drush GREATLY simplifies the functionality that Aegir offers (but with less headache than trying to get Aegir up and running). Now to get focused on putting together website (before Aegir hiccups again) LOL!!!


No success goes un-sabotaged

Currently my sites are on Aegir and I must admit that their performance is noticeably better. This gives me incentive to work to keep things on the Aegir Platform but things still are not great. With the new code update I ran into more issues.

Before you can upgrade on Aegir you have to run a "verify" (which is good) and all but one of the sites passed. If a site does not pass you are stuck, you cannot do anything to it. You cannot update, backup, enable, delete, nothing. The error I was getting was totally useless. The error I was getting was:

"Drush was not able to start (bootstrap) the Drupal database."
"Hint: This may occur when Drush is trying to:
* bootstrap a site that has not been installed or does not have a
configured database.In this case you can select another site with
a working database setup by specifying the URI to use with the
--uri parameter on the command line. See `drush topic docs-aliases`
for details.
* connect the database through a socket. The socket file may be
wrong or the php-cli may have no access to it in a jailed shell.
See http://drupal.org/node/1428638 for details.

I tried Drupal.org, Aegir Help, Google and was not able to find much information as to what action to take.
The lack of documentation (as well as the ambiguity of what information that was out there) leaves a lot to be desired. I did finally figure out what the difficulty was. As it turns out the issue was related to Drush. Drush does not use the site configuration to get it's information to access the database. Instead it stores the information in the "drushrc.php" file in the sites folder for that particular site (since in Aegir that information is no longer in the settings.php file). The drushrc.php file for the particular site that was having this difficulty could not find the database information for the site (of course the error could not say that). So all I had to do was edit the drushrc.php file adding the database info and the site was finally able to verify.

The guy who writes these error messages needs to learn how to speak English and in a way that expresses the problem in a more obvious way (instead of in techno-code).