I have been really busy the last few day. On Saturday I finished the Views tutorial. It was very enlightening and its nice to be able to understand the makings of the different content types. I ended up using what I learned the next day after starting the Commerce KickStart Tutorial. Unfortunately the distribution changed a lot since the tutorial was done. It was a struggle but I did get a version of Drupal up that allowed me to be able to follow the tutorial, but that also meant that I had to use my lesson on Views to recreate some of then different content-types used in the commerce package. I felt proud to be able to figure that out myself.
Was a productive day yesterday. I got a lot accomplished with my tutorial. I'm understanding views a lot better now and am a lot more comfortable with manipulating data with drupal. I SO pick up things much easier when I observe how its done. In the tutorial he went over the different display formats like tables, HTML lists, grids and jump data (which is more like drop down menus).
The last couple of days I seem to be doing better at refocusing on the task-at-hand. Last night I finally completed the tutorial I started on "Photoshop CS5 for Web" on Lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com/). I have been on Lynda.com for almost as long as I have been working with Drupal. I find video tutorials are the way to go for learning. I guess that is because I'm more of a "visual" person. I learn better by seeing rather than reading (though I have read through many self-taught disciplines over the years).
Turned out to be a scattered day. I was comparing distributions looking for something suitable for my class reunion site. I did the last one which was fine for a static site, but I am wanting to make it more interactive, user friendly and also a tool to make the committee's lives easier.
Yesterday I wrote about my efforts to install a text editor for blogging and comments. I originally tried to use the combination of WYSIWYG & CKEditor (and later Tiny_MCE) but could not get comments to work (but was able to do blog posts). It turned out to be caused by a few different issues: